My research focuses on text mining of large corpora, for organism, process, environment and other biological entity mentions.
The aim is to extract knowledge and propose innovative hypotheses. This is in relevance to a broad sprectrum of biological application ranging from biomedicine to molecular ecology and biodiversity.
At the mean time I enjoy co-coordinating the Institute of Marine Biology Biotechnology and Aquaculture’s High Performance Computing facility, organizing citizen-science sampling and analysing soil samples around Crete, and taking pictures.
- Researcher C in Bioinformatics and Biodiversity informatics (2018-present)
- Postdoctoral Researcher (2011), Hellenic Center for Marine Research, Institute of Marine Biology Biotechnology and Aquaculture
- Postdoctoral Researcher (2009), Medical School, University of Crete
- PhD in Bionformatics (2009), EMBL - University of Heidelberg
- MRes in Bioinfomatics (2003), University of Glasgow
- BSc in Biology (2002), University of Crete
Awards and scientific challenges
- Biocreative V (2015): interactive annotation task, top performance by the EXTRACT metadata annotation system
- Encyclopedia of Life Rubenstein Fellowship (2013)
- Elsevier grand challenge (2009): knowledge enhancement in the life sciences, as a member of the Reflect team